PIERCE COUNTY, Wash. — The Washington State Patrol said a tow truck driver was airlifted to Tacoma General Hospital with serious injuries after being struck by a pickup truck on northbound State Route 7 near Elbe after 10 p.m. Wednesday.
According to State Patrol, the 26-year-old tow truck driver was standing on the road hooking up a vehicle involved in a prior crash when he was struck.
The 23-year-old man driving the Dodge Dakota pickup was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, troopers said. He was not injured.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- Amazon halts Seattle construction amid head tax proposal
- One-day Seattle tourists: City too risky after visit theft
- House with 'black mold' listed for ale in Seattle for $775k
- All lanes back open on SB I-5 in downtown Seattle after crash, lost load
- Iron worker saved by debris net after 8-story fall from Amazon construction site in Seattle
According to State Patrol, the truck driver will be charged with vehicular assault and third-degree driving with a suspended license.
The crash caused the road to be blocked for more than three hours.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
Cox Media Group