BELLINGHAM, Wash. - Authorities say agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested 16 people around Bellingham in what they described as an ongoing criminal investigation.
The Bellingham Herald reports that ICE's Homeland Security Investigations special agents, ICE's Enforcement and Removal Operations and the U.S. Border Patrol conducted an enforcement operation on Aug. 29.
ICE public affairs officer Carissa Cutrell said Wednesday that 16 people were arrested.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- iPhone 8 recall: What you need to know, how to get your phone fixed
- Two women found dead in University District apartment
- Nearly 6,000 teacher on strike as contract battles continue
- Skateboarder Cory Kennedy sentenced to four years in prison after killing friend in DUI crash
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
Cutrell says the operation was related to an ongoing criminal investigation and no additional information was available.
Last week's action is believed to be the largest series of arrests by ICE in Whatcom County since a February 2009 raid at the Yamato Engine Specialists in Bellingham, when agents arrested 28 workers who were accused of being in the country illegally.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.