BELLINGHAM, Wash. - A former Bellingham Police officer has been sentenced to eight years in prison for physically abusing a woman from September 2016 until his arrest in February.
The Bellingham Herald reports 33-year-old Brooks Laughlin was sentenced Wednesday in Whatcom County Superior Court after a jury found him guilty last month of three counts of second-degree assault, two counts of felony harassment, two counts of violating a no-contact order and other charges.
Laughlin will have three years of probation and will be required to complete mental health and domestic violence treatment. He was ordered to have no contact with the woman for 25 years.
Laughlin told the court he was sorry for his actions, and he apologized to the woman and her family.
Laughlin resigned from the Bellingham Police Department in April.
Information from: The Bellingham Herald, http://www.bellinghamherald.com
More news from KIRO 7
- Pit bull escapes Seattle home, bites third-graders at nearby school
- 1,200+ marijuana plants seized from grow houses in Newcastle, Renton
- Woman survives truck crashing through her house as she napped on couch
- Clerk shot during Renton gas station robbery
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.