Evergreen student released from hospital after likely carbon monoxide poisoning

Image 1 of 7

An Evergreen College Student was released from the hospital on Wednesday after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Washington State Patrol. Another student is still recovering.

Jonathon Rodriguez, a 21-year-old student at Evergreen State College, was found dead Tuesday in campus housing.

WSP said detectives are working with an outside forensic engineering firm that specializes in carbon monoxide investigations to look into Rodriguez’s death.

WSP said the on-scene part of the investigation is over and it will release the findings from the firm when its investigation is complete.

“Every life is precious and any loss, especially a college student just starting their life’s journey, is difficult,” said WSP Chief John R. Batiste. “We all share the sorrow of this tragic news and will keep those impacted in our thoughts and prayers during what will no doubt be a very difficult holiday season.

Chief John R. Batiste wants the public to know WSP is thoroughly investigating.

“Please know that WSP is methodically and conscientiously investigating the case and will share what we find with the public as soon as we are able to do so. Our job is to investigate, not speculate, and we ask for the public’s patience while we do this important work,” he said.