TACOMA, Wash. - Customers who live in the area of East 56th Street and East McKinley Avenue are without water service after a water main break around noon Monday.
Tacoma police diverted traffic in the 500 block of 56th Street but one lane of traffic was later reopened.
Water was spewing in the road when officers arrived, police said.
Neighbors who live in the area reported discolored water, according to Tacoma Public Utilities.
The water main in that area has served southeast Tacoma since 1938 and it broke because of a mixture of warm weather and cold water coming from the mountain, utility officials said.
Officials said the 12-inch break in the water main was not an easy fix and crews would be working through the evening to restore service for customers. No exact time was given on when service would be restored.
More news from KIRO 7
- Loved ones speaking out after man in ICU with severe brain injury
- Huskies' head football coach Chris Petersen stepping down
- Police suspect driver in fatal Aurora crash may have been high on meth
- Class-action lawsuit filed against Seattle Children's Hospital
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.