Police investigating crash in Everett that killed 2, including toddler

Police are investigating a one-car collision in Everett on Sunday morning that killed two people, including a toddler.

At about 9:14 a.m., a vehicle was traveling east on 112th Street Southwest when the driver lost control and hit a power pole at a very high speed, according to witnesses. The car broke into two pieces upon impact.

Surveillance video captures a speeding vehicle moments before it's ripped apart in a deadly crash in Everett.  People nearby rushed to help but two people died, including a young child.

Scroll down to continue reading

More news from KIRO 7


The two people who survived suffered severe injuries. But police say they're not sure if one of them was in the car or was a pedestrian.

Despite the lifesaving efforts of several good Samaritans, the little girl died at the hospital a few hours later.

Surveillance video shows the vehicle speeding through the intersection at 112th and Evergreen Way.  Seconds later, the vehicle lay shattered into so many pieces, it stunned even seasoned investigators.

Juan Arechiga happened upon the grim scene.

"I never in my life witnessed anything like that," he said. An hour later, he was still at the scene. "And I'm still like shaking," he said, "like just quiet."

He says he ran over with his pocket knife to help an 18-year-old woman trapped in her seatbelt.

"Cut the seatbelt off," he said, "stood there and holding her legs until the paramedics got there."

He says he saw two men lying on the ground; one of them not moving. Other good Samaritans were giving CPR to a young toddler.

"Probably like five people [were] helping the little girl," he said.

Eyewitnesses told Everett police the vehicle might have reached 100 miles per hour before the driver lost control and slammed into a tree and power pole. The vehicle even knocked a fire hydrant off its stand.

The car was left so crumpled, Deputy Police Chief John DeRousse said they aren't sure who was driving or even if the child was properly strapped in.

"We can't tell at this point," said DeRousse.  "They may, once they put the dynamics and they do the science that's behind these accident reconstructions together, they may be able to tell.  But at this point we can't tell."

It is devastating for those who tried to help.

"It's affecting me like to see the little girl," said Arechiga.

He worried from the start that she might not make it. Two people remain hospitalized tonight.   They left here badly hurt.

Police say they have a lot of work to do to sort all of this out.