• Healing vigil held at Harborview for hate crime victim still in coma

    By: Deedee Sun


    The victim of a brutal hate crime is still in a coma at Harborview Medical Center tonight -- two weeks after he was attacked.

    Saturday night, people gathered at Harborview Medical Center in support of the victim's family, and to say racism will not be tolerated. 

    26-year-old DaShawn Horne was bashed over the head with a baseball bat on Jan. 20.

    He was in the ICU for 13 days. On the two-week anniversary of his attack, he was finally moved out of the ICU, but his family says he is still in a coma. 

    A crowd Saturday braved the cold and the rain, prayed for DaShawn's recovery and said their voices will not be silenced.

    “Say his name!” said Rev. Bianca Davis-Lovelace, an organizer of the vigil. 

    “DaShawn Horne,” the crowd responded. 

    People hugged each other outside Harborview, lighting candles. 

    >> See photos of the vigil here.

    “We join with the family of DaShawn Horne to remind the world his life matters,” Davis-Lovelace said. 

    Prosecutors said Horne was attacked outside a home in Auburn, and beaten over the head with a baseball bat while the suspect shouted racial expletives.

    Part of the crime was caught on a neighbor’s surveillance video.

    Court documents say the suspect admitted to police he struck Horne because Horne spent the night with his sister. 

    “Black families are tired of visiting hospitals, of preparing for funerals, because someone thought that their loved one's life did not matter,” Davis-Lovelace said. 

    People Saturday night made sure the Horne family knew they are not alone. The group sang “Amazing Grace” together and promised to spread positive energy for DaShawn. 

    Dashawn’s family says though he’s still in a coma, he is improving.

    “He’s yawning like he wants to wake up, he’s opening his eyes,” said LaDonna Horne, his mom. 

    “His eyes open up, and they’re flickering slowly. Then he’s looking at you. And you say DaShawn is going to come out of this,” said Rodney King, his uncle. “He’s got his son to raise, he’s not done living,” King said. 

    His son is 16 months old.  

    Organizers say another purpose of the vigil is to make sure people don’t forget this hate crime happened.

    “Denouncing bigotry and hate is the one thing we can do to demonstrate that black lives matter," Davis-Lovelace said. 

    As they wait for DaShawn to wake up, his family is finding strength in prayer. 

    “I’m mad, I’m angry, let’s not get it wrong. But I forgive him. You know? I do. I forgive him. And I gave that to God,” LaDonna Horne said. 

    The suspect in the crime is 18-year-old Julian Tuimauga. He will be arraigned in court Monday 9 a.m. at the Kent RJC, and many people at the vigil Saturday say they will be there. 

    Horne’s family says they hope he will plead guilty so they can focus on DaShawn's healing process. 


    More news from KIRO 7


    Next Up: