DES MOINES, Wash. - Police say a man with a dive group in the waters off the Redondo Pier in Des Moines nearly drowned Monday morning.
Authorities said the man was diving with the group when he ran out of air. Other divers helped him up to the surface, but by the time they reached the top, he was no longer breathing.
The divers and Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife boat brought the man to shore and started CPR. Medics who arrived took over and were able to get a pulse before the victim was transported to Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle.
"I've seen a few drownings. There's been a few drownings over the last few years. A girl drove her car off the pier here a couple months ago. It happens from time to time," said witness Dan Devine.
The victim was transported to the hospital. His condition is not known.
More news from KIRO 7
- Bumbershoot reopens after barricade collapse
- A message from Steve Raible
- Reality star Todd Chrisley's daughter says father, brother blackmailing her with sex tape
- Discovery Park tree falls, crushes front of delivery van with driver still inside
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.