SEATTLE — The Seattle Sounders have bolstered their defense heading into the final months of the MLS season by acquiring defender Brad Smith on loan from Premier League club Bournemouth.
Seattle used targeted allocation money to land the 24-year-old Australian in the deal announced Wednesday.
Smith spent the past two seasons at Bournemouth after starting his career in the youth system at Liverpool.
He debuted for Liverpool during the 2013-14 season and, after being loaned to Swindon Town for a season, returned to Liverpool and made 10 appearances during the 2015-16 season before moving on to Bournemouth. Smith also has 18 caps for the Australian national team.
Smith should help solidify Seattle's back line and will likely be in competition for time at left back.
Seattle is unbeaten in its last seven matches, including four straight wins.
More news from KIRO 7
- Pearl Jam's Drop in the Park 1992: Previously unseen interviews and footage
- New Seattle noise ordinance targets mufflers – not engines or stereos
- Seattle real estate market showing signs of cooling
- DUI suspect says she's a 'white, clean girl' who shouldn't be arrested, police say
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cox Media Group