Authorities arrested a Florida man Friday who they say terrorized the country after he sent a series of package bombs to prominent Democrats across the country.
The suspect, identified in a press conference by U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions as Cesar Sayoc Jr., 56, was arrested Friday in Plantation, Florida, about 20 miles from Miami.
Authorities allege in a criminal complaint that he was responsible for sending at least 13 "potential" explosive devices to former President Barack Obama, former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton, Democratic donor George Soros, former attorney general Eric H. Holder Jr. and Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), among others.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- Whistleblower: Local pediatric dental chain reusing disposable tools
- DOJ: 1 in custody in connection to suspected mail bombs
- Skyline High student assaulted by football players sues the Issaquah School District
- Student said he had 'surprise' for teacher before stabbing her, victim's father says
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Authorities charged Sayoc with federal crimes including illegal mailing of explosives, interstate transportation of explosives, making threats against former presidents and other persons, threatening interstate communications and assaulting current and former federal officers, Jeff Sessions said in Friday's news conference.
Here's what various media outlets are reporting about the man arrested in connection with sending suspicious packages.
- Sayoc has a criminal history in Florida dating back to 1991. Records show he has faced felony theft, drug and fraud charges. The Times is reporting that he has been accused of threatening to use a bomb.
- He has an Aventura, Florida, address. Aventura is about 20 miles from Miami, and about the same distance from Plantation.
- He once worked as a stripper.
- He has some ties to New York.
- The arrest happened without incident.
- He was arrested at an Auto Zone car parts store.
- A white van was taken from in front of the Auto Zone in Plantation Friday morning.
- Five sealed warrants were issued in New York City on Thursday for Sayoc.
- 12 devices were intercepted, none of them were detonated.
Devices were sent to:
Former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton
Former President Barack Obama
Democrat donor George Soros
U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters – two devices sent to Waters
Former Attorney Gen. Eric Holder
Actor Robert De Niro
Former Vice President Joe Biden – two devices sent to Biden
Former national intelligence director James Clapper
Former CIA Director John Brennan
© 2020 Cox Media Group