A Pierce County Sheriff’s sergeant and 25-year veteran of the department wound up behind bars early Friday morning, booked on suspicion of assault in the first degree. Robert Glen Carpenter, 48, was jailed shortly after 2 a.m. for an incident that took place some time around 1 a.m. in Tacoma.
Tacoma police spokeswoman officer Loretta Cool confirmed the arrest, but would not release additional information.
“We’re disappointed to find out that one of our own was arrested and we expect him to be treated just like any other citizen would be,” said Sheriff’s spokesman detective Ed Troyer. “If he did this he needs to be held accountable.”
Washington state law defines first-degree assault as “intent to inflict great bodily harm, assault with a firearm or any deadly weapon, or means likely to produce great bodily harm or death.”
Carpenter runs a business called Glen Carpenter Use of Force training and consulting. He spoke to the Langley city council June about a case involving that town's police chief and the arrest of a trespassing suspect.
Carpenter, known as Glen, has been in legal trouble before. In 2007 he was arrested for driving under the influence twice in one day in Chelan County. Prosecution in those cases was deferred.
“He, at that time, self-confessed and went to treatment and did everything right,” said Troyer. “What led up to this incident we’re still waiting to hear.”
Carpenter was released without being charged while the incident is investigated. The Thurston County prosecuting attorney is expected to review evidence to make a charging decision to avoid a conflict of interest.
More news from KIRO 7
- KIRO 7 investigates complaints against ex-Bellevue College assistant dean accused of sexual assault
- Apparent remains of 1 of 2 missing Bellingham snowboarders found on Mount Baker
- Kent parents say kids going home hungry, lunch period too short
- 500 chickens stolen from Skagit Valley farm; customers rally to keep the business afloat
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2020 Cox Media Group