PUYALLUP, Wash. — Credit card skimmers are targeting ATMs in the South Sound from Auburn to Thurston County.
Surveillance cameras have caught two pairs of thieves installing the skimmers at different card readers and ATMs in Auburn and Puyallup.
One instance where two alleged thieves were caught on video happened at a Puyallup gas station as a clerk was waiting on them.
It is easy to miss even when you watch the video. You see the two men at the counter of this Chevron Gas station. One man is making a purchase; his partner seems to be doing something with the ATM pad on the counter.
"The first time I watched, I was watching the person that was making the purchase, thinking, 'How did this happen?'" said Puyallup police Capt. Ryan Portmann.
Portmann admitted it took a second look for even him to see what the alleged thieves were actually doing.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- Lakewood student says bus driver grabbed him
- 'It just dragged me:' Pit bull escapes Seattle home, bites third-graders at nearby school
- Mariners donate $3M to reduce evictions in King County
- On this day: Hanukkah Eve Wind Storm ravages Western Washington in 2006
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2020 Cox Media Group