Mount Vernon police are investigating after an inmate died at the Skagit County Community Justice Center.
On Wednesday evening, staff called 911 after the inmate, a 50-year-old woman, complained about chest pain, difficulty breathing and collapsed as she was being escorted from her jail pod to the in-house medical facility, police said.
Staff performed CPR on the woman until medics arrived but the woman died at the facility.
Investigators said detectives interviewed corrections staff and about 30 female inmates who either shared a cell with the woman or were housed in the same jail pod.
"Detectives learned the inmate suffered from several known medical conditions, and was being treated with numerous medications," said Mount Vernon police Lieutenant Greg Booth.
The Skagit County Coroner's Office will determine the woman's cause of the death.
The investigation remains ongoing.
More news from KIRO 7
- Seattle explores alternate uses for four publicly owned golf courses
- UPDATE: Four climbers rescued from Mt. Rainier
- SUV smashes into Seattle's oldest restaurant; driver takes off running
- Eaglets rescued near Sequim returned to nest by zip line
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.