BELLINGHAM, Wash. — Northbound I-5 at Slater Road in Bellingham remains closed for over seven hours Monday after a semi truck rolled over and its driver was arrested for suspicion of DUI.
The crash happened shortly before 7 a.m. The driver has non-threatening injuries.
The Washington State Patrol says witnesses saw the semi moving erratically right before the crash.
The semi’s 53-foot trailer was filled with vegetables, but none spilled onto the freeway.
A detour has been set up at Slater Road.
As of 8:20 a.m., a tow truck was at the scene, but the semi was still on its side.
As of 9:53 a.m., cargo was being offloaded from the overturned trailer before it can be pulled upright.
As of 11 a.m., cargo was still being offloaded.
At noon, there was still no estimated time for when the northbound lanes would reopen.
At 2:48 WSDOT officials said the freeway reopened.
More news from KIRO 7
- Police: Armed civilian took down shooter at Washington state Walmart
- 2 shot in Tumwater Walmart parking lot; suspect killed
- Child knocks over glass sculpture, parents may be on the hook for $132,000 bill
- Dangerous plant that causes blindness, 3rd degree burns found in multiple states, officials say
- Video shows man hurling targeted, racial slurs in Seattle
© 2020 Cox Media Group