Arcan Cetin: What to know about Burlington mall shooting suspect

Police identified the Cascade Mall shooter as Arcan Cetin, a 20-year-old who attended Oak Harbor High School.

BURLINGTON, Wash. — The suspected gunman who police say killed five people in a shooting at the Cascade Mall in Burlington, about an hour and 20 minutes north of Seattle, was arrested shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday in Oak Harbor.


Police identified the shooter as Arcan Cetin, saying shortly after 7 p.m. Saturday that he was in custody. The 20-year-old attended Oak Harbor High School, and his last known residence was in Oak Harbor.

Police said immediately after the shooting they were looking for a Hispanic man wearing black and armed with a "hunting-type" rifle, last seen walking toward Interstate 5. The description, including that he appeared Hispanic, was based on statements from witnesses, said Given Kutz, a spokesman for the Skagit County Emergency Operations Center.

Cetin wrote on his Facebook page that he is from Turkey.

Acquaintances say he worked at the commissary at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island.    Navy officials told KIRO 7 they won't be able to research his employment history until Monday.

Classmate Dakota Kinonen said Cetin once grabbed her inappropriately in high school. Another young woman who didn't want to be identified told KIRO 7 a similar story of sexual harassment.

Domestic violence incidents, but deferred prosecution

In October 2014, Cetin was added as a defendant in a domestic violence-related case – however, he was not convicted. At the time a judge was told Cetin was just over 18 and had no place to go. Also that month, Cetin was told not to possess firearms. The court was told it was not clear where Cetin would be staying.

A formal no-contact order was entered for each parent, according to court records.

Court records also show his dad called – and that call was referred to the prosecutor’s office – saying Cetin’s uncle was not willing to let him stay at his residence in Sumer. There was a request for the no-contact order to be lifted.

The case judge did not lift the order, but set a hearing date for later in the year. Court records show Cetin was staying in room 17 of a local motel.

In November 2014 – the same month Cetin pleaded not guilty – his address was updated to Coupeville.

On Dec. 2, 2014, court records show Cetin’s parents were present for a hearing to lift the no-contact requirement.

A prosecutor asked about firearms, and Cetin’s mother said those were removed, according to court records.

A day later at a separate hearing, a judge granted a motion to cancel the no-contact order.

As the case continued in 2015, additional counseling was recommended, court records show. They also show that case was tracked with a separate Island County case involving another alleged victim.

As part of that misdemeanor fourth-degree assault case, Cetin was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation in August 2015. The evaluation was completed as of March 2016, according to court records.

There also were questions in the court file about cannabis use. But last April a judge asked how that related to his mental health evaluation, saying it was not a mental health issue.

In May, a judge approved deferred prosecution in that assault case – meaning Cetin was not immediately convicted, and wouldn't be if he followed terms of the deferment. He was ordered not to have alcohol or drugs as part of the deferment.

As of Aug. 25, 2016, Cetin was in compliance with weekly sessions for mental health counseling. He complied with the alcohol assessment, according to court records, and he had a deferred prosecution review for the case scheduled for 2018.

KIRO 7 will have cover Cetin's upcoming court appearances in the Cascade Mall case, including his bail hearing expected Monday. Get the latest updates on investigation with the KIRO 7 News app

Comments on this article