A Washington fire department has sworn in its first-ever female firefighter at the Longview Fire Department.
KPTV-TV reported Monday that 24-year-old Chelsey Miller joined the department after spending about five years interning with the fire crew.
Officials say the Pacific Northwest resident attended Centennial High School where she went on a ride-along with the Portland Fire Department and discovered her career.
Officials say Miller earned her associates in fire science at Lower Columbia College in Longview.
The department says Miller can deadlift 340 pounds (154 kilograms) and has broken records in training.
Miller says she hopes to "show that other girls can do this job too and it's not just a man's job."
More news from KIRO 7
- Deputies: Florida couple has sex in patrol car, man flees naked
- Bridge collapse sends dump truck into Snohomish County creek
- UW nutritionist: Non-meat Impossible burgers don't deserve a health halo
- Suspect in Westlake Station shooting arrested in Bellevue
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.