The Trump administration’s transgender military ban takes effect Friday after a federal judge lifted an injunction last month.
The regulation directs military secretaries to kick out transgender service members who refuse to serve in their birth sex and "given an opportunity to correct those deficiencies."
Washington is one of the states where a lawsuit against the ban is still going on.
The lawsuit brought by Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier Catherine Schmid and Lambda legal has been winding its way through the federal court in Seattle.
It’s currently one of four lawsuits still arguing that the transgender military ban is unconstitutional.
"We do not deserve the stigma that was placed upon us saying that we are second-class citizens, that we're somehow inherently less valid,” said Army Staff Sergeant Catherine Schmid.
The Pentagon asserts it’s not a ban, however, the new policy says those wishing to join the military must adhere to standards of their biological sex.
The Pentagon says there are currently 9,000 active service members who self-identify as transgender.
Under the new rules, currently serving transgender troops and anyone who has signed an enlistment contract by April 12 may continue with plans for hormone treatments and gender transition if they have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria.
But after April 12, no one with gender dysphoria who is taking hormones or has transitioned to another gender will be allowed to enlist. And any currently serving troops diagnosed with gender dysphoria after April 12 will have to serve in their birth gender and will be barred from taking hormones or getting transition surgery.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.