Trash, recycling and compost waste is piling up all over Seattle after the winter storm shut down waste collection, and now, sanitation crews are trying to catch up with all that work.
People may think that waste collection hasn't happened at all, but the city says with every break in the weather, crews tried to do as much as they can.
Seattle Public Utilities says it has more than 150,000 residential accounts, and improved weather this weekend will allow for more pickups for people who've seen delays in waste collection.
If your trash is usually picked up on Monday, crews will make those accounts the priority this weekend.
Customers who have not received service on Monday, Thursday or Friday should put garbage bins out on the curb starting Friday. Customers can put out double the amount of garbage with no additional charge.
SPU also says it will provide a $10 billing credit for customers who had two or more missed garbage collections, which are primarily customers with Monday service, due to the weather. Customers should see the credit within two billing cycles.
SPU customers have the option bring their garbage to a free drop off site on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the following four locations, but not yard/compost waste or recycling.
- Lower Woodland: 50th and Whitman
- Magnuson Park: 65th street lot, Parking Lot E
- Interbay: 17th Ave. W. And W. Barrett Street
- West Seattle Stadium: 35th Ave SW & SW Snoqualmie St
Friday though Sunday, customers whose collection has been delayed can also drop off a load of garbage, recycling and compost at Seattle Public Utilities north or south transfer stations for free. There is a limit of one truck or carload per household up to 420 pounds of combined garbage, recycling, and compost.
- North Transfer Station is at 1350 N 34th St, Seattle, WA 98103
- South Transfer Station is at 130 S Kenyon St, Seattle, WA 98108
Transfer Station Hours:
- Fri Feb 15 - Stations open 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Sat Feb 16 - Stations open 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Sun Feb 17 - Stations open 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
© 2020 Cox Media Group