Man arrested for rape in Greenwood has 28 prior convictions

SEATTLE — Court documents reveal new and disturbing information about the man accused of rape, human trafficking and kidnapping in Greenwood.

On Monday, Seattle police arrested Maygag Warsame driving a white and gray SUV after he clipped multiple vehicles trying to flee officers and then crashed. Witnesses tell KIRO 7 that the 23-year-old hit at least four parked cars on Monday as authorities trailed him off Aurora Avenue.

Police said a 25-year-old woman called 911 and reported that she had been sexually assaulted by a man whom she provided a description of.

When police located the SUV connected with the alleged assault, a chase began on Aurora Avenue North.

Police said the man refused to pull over and hit several vehicles near North 85th Street and Greenwood Avenue North, trying to escape.

It all ended when the man slammed into a parked car so hard that it jumped the curb.

The car that was hit was a Subaru belonging to Kody Kratz.

Kratz was across the street when he heard the impact and turned to see what had happened.

“Went to go check what was going on. (It) looks like he climbed out of his vehicle in some high-speed chase. (He) got onto his hood, (and) started to back up his windshield to get like onto his roof. One of the cops jumped up on the tire, grabbed him (and) pulled him down from his vehicle. Cops swarmed him. Just grabbed him a bunch. No real fighting or anything like that or chance of it escalating,” Kratz said.

No one was hurt in the series of collisions.

The suspect was booked into the King County Jail.

Warsame was on law enforcement’s radar long before that arrest. According to the King County Prosecutor’s Office, the Renton man is a repeat offender who has already been convicted 28 times before. Notable among the past charges: four counts of assault, robbery, theft and burglary too. Warsame has spent time in courtrooms across Puget Sound. He’s appeared in King and Thurston counties and in Kent, Tukwila and Renton municipal courts.

The investigation is ongoing. The state requested his bail be set at $750,000.