Jury awards $1.4 million to four students injured in 2018 UW bus crash

A jury awarded $1,482,200 million to four students — who were supposed to perform as part of the Husky marching band — after they suffered injuries when a bus they were taking to the Apple Cup crashed on Interstate 90 in 2018, according to a release from the Herrmann Law Group on Thursday.

The law group represented band members Alexia Brown, Jacob Koreen, Monica Mursch and Edith Myers-Power.

The lawsuit filed by the victims’ attorneys cited troopers, who found the bus driver “was driving too fast for conditions.” The suit accused the driver and the bus company, MTR Western, of “negligence.”

“After this long fight for justice, we are pleased the jury agreed this was a horrible crash,” said Anthony Marsh with the law group. “These four students survived an astounding tragedy. We hope anyone on the bus still fighting for justice will keep fighting until they get what is fair.”

The UW marching band did not perform during the 2018 annual rivalry game against Washington State University.

The bus that crashed was one of three chartered and rolled onto its side while traveling from Seattle to eastern Washington.

The bus crashed on an icy stretch of I-90 in central Washington. Of the 56 people on board, 47 were taken to hospitals for evaluation or treatment.

As for awards, the largest went to Brown in the amount of $569,000. She was a freshman alto saxophone player at the time of the crash, a release from the law group read. Brown was reportedly tossed out of the rolling bus and woke up tangled in barb wire.

Brown suffered multiple fractures to her spine and post-traumatic stress disorder and has not marched or played for the band again, her lawyers said.

The law group stated Myers-Power suffered an AC joint separation in her shoulder and required surgery

Mursch, who was a junior at the time, reportedly broke her clavicle and was diagnosed with post-crash trauma. She returned to the band and played her senior year.

Koreen primarily suffered from bruises, lacerations and PTSD and also continued to march and play with the band, his lawyers said.