A deputy at the Snohomish County jail was hospitalized after being assaulted by an inmate.
Sheriff's office spokeswoman Shari Ireton says the assault happened at about 4:30 a.m. Friday in the psych unit of the jail.
She says the inmate got out of his cell and attacked the 53-year-old corrections deputy. Other deputies arrived in the unit within minutes and gained control of the inmate.
The deputy was conscious and talking when he was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Ireton says the inmate was booked in the summer on assault charges, and during his arrest, he assaulted the officers and tried to take their weapons.
Detectives with the major crimes unit are investigating the attack.
Trending stories on kiro7.com
- Lowland snow in spots through Friday evening
- Amazon, Goodwill team up to use empty shipping boxes
- Man killed roommate in fight over chores
- Disabled Seahawks fan files ADA lawsuit against Ticketmaster
- Bellingham ranks as #4 most hungover city in US, report finds
© 2019 Cox Media Group.