BREMERTON, Wash. — A bomb squad responded after a man claiming to have an improvised explosive device on his body entered through Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor Trident vehicle inspection gate.
The driver was apprehended and is in Kitsap County Sheriff custody. The investigation is ongoing.
The bomb squad was called as a precaution and Highway 308 leading to the base was closed. Gates were closed during the investigation and reopened Thursday afternoon.
Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Detachment, Washington State Patrol, Kitsap County Sheriff, the FBI, and Navy Criminal Investigative Service provided assistance, a base spokesman said.
More news from KIRO 7
- LIVE UPDATES: Slick, icy roads causing crashes after snowfall
- PHOTOS: Snowfall around the Puget Sound
- Bikini barista describes surviving violent knifepoint sexual assault
- Kent police make arrest in attempted rape at bikini barista stand
- Alleged Florida high school shooter has $800,000 inheritance, reports say
Cox Media Group