BELLEVUE, Wash. — The Bellevue Police Department has launched a new tool to help residents report violations of Gov. Jay Inslee’s “stay home, stay healthy” order.
Inslee’s order restricts all activities except those deemed “essential.” The order is effective for a minimum of two weeks.
>> Who’s working, what businesses are open during stay-at-home order
The tool allows residents to report violations into the MyBellevue app so police can see a “heat map” of where illegal gatherings or other activities are taking place.
The new tool comes as the department is also reminding residents to not call 911 to report illegal gatherings.
“Officers will not respond to 911 calls about violations of the Stay Home mandate,” a spokesperson for the police department wrote in a news release.
To report incidents:
Log onto the MyBellevue app on your phone or online at Bellevuewa.gov.
Click on new request.
Click Report gatherings.
Click issue location and move the pin over the location or add the address manually.
“The vast majority of people in our community are following the ‘stay at home’ order and are being safe,” said Chief Steve Mylett. “But we need your help in reporting violations where there may be a large number of people at risk.”
Officials said as officers are available, they will respond to reports and take the opportunity to educate and instruct people about the order.
“We are not going to arrest people; we are educating them to stay home. The ‘Stay home, stay healthy’ mandate is for everyone’s safety,” Major Andrew Popochock, who overseas the patrol division, said in a news release.
More news from KIRO 7
- Coronavirus fact check: Does ibuprofen make COVID-19 symptoms worse?
- Coronavirus: Grocery stores carve out special shopping hours for seniors, those at risk
- Coronavirus: Senate approves $2 trillion stimulus package; non-essential businesses shut down at midnight
- Coronavirus live updates: US records deadliest day as total cases top 69,000, deaths reach 1,050
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2020 Cox Media Group