11-month-old twins exposed to fentanyl in Everett hotel room

EVERETT — An 11-month-old baby exposed to fentanyl was revived by first responders in Everett on Tuesday.

Fire department medics were initially told by parents that the 11-month-old had been exposed to cleaning chemicals. After receiving treatment based on that information, though, the baby was unresponsive. The baby only became conscious after medics gave him NARCAN.

Two other children were also in the room -- a twin to the 11-month-old who was treated with NARCAN, and an 11-year-old boy. All three were tested for fentanyl at the hospital. Both twins tested positive, while the 11-year-old was negative. The children were released from the hospital and have reportedly recovered.

Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office detectives who searched the hotel room found fentanyl and meth.

The three children are now with Child Protective Services. The status of the parents -- a 36-year-old mother and 39-year-old father -- is unclear at this time.

“This is an active investigation. We are awaiting official toxicology reports, however when those do come back we do expect to refer charges on the parents,” said Courtney O’Keefe, public information officer for SCSO.

O’Keefe says the community has seen a rise in children being exposed to fentanyl.

“Last November we had a 2-year-old die from what we believe was fentanyl exposure and earlier this month we had a 1-month-old little girl who we believe passed away from fentanyl exposure,” O’Keefe said.

“It’s a tragedy that it happens to families and kids, and as parents we need to take care of more of our kids,” said David, a man who was staying at the hotel.

Comments on this article