Online gamers constantly make life and death decisions at their keyboards -- but it’s just a game. A Texas gamer was faced with a real-life situation earlier this month, and she helped save the life of a fellow player -- 5,000 miles away.
Aidan Jackson, of Widnes, England, was playing an online game Jan. 2 in his upstairs bedroom when he had a seizure, CBS News reported. However, his playing partner, Dia Lathora, 20, of Texas, realized her friend was in trouble and contacted authorities across the ocean. Her quick response and ability to contact emergency services saved her friend’s life.
Lathora found the nonemergency number for the Cheshire Police, and gave them Aidan’s address. They sent first responders to the home.
“Hi, I’m currently in the U.S. I’m currently in a call with my friend,” Lathora told the police dispatcher. “He had a seizure and he’s not responding anymore. I do have his address.
“No one’s home with him right now, so I’m just trying to get him some help.”
Jackson’s parents were actually watching television downstairs and did not realize their son was in danger until three police officers knocked at their door, the Liverpool Echo reported.
“We were at home watching TV and Aidan was upstairs in his room,” Caroline Jackson, 48, the stricken teen’s mother, told the BBC. “The next thing we noticed was two police cars outside with flashing lights.”
“I just put my headset back on and I heard what I could only describe as a seizure, so obviously I started to get worried and immediately started asking what was going on and if he was OK,” Lathora told the Echo. "When he didn’t respond I instantly started to look up the emergency number for the EU. When that didn’t work I just had to hope the nonemergency would work, it had an option for talking to a real person ... and I can’t tell you how quickly I clicked that button.
“Someone answered the call and I had to force myself not to panic and to stay calm.”
Caroline Jackson said she was grateful Lathora was there to make the call to police. Her son has had seizures before, most recently in May 2019, CBS News reported.
“We are extremely thankful for what Dia did and shocked that we could be downstairs and not know anything was happening,” Caroline Jackson told the BBC. "Dia had our address but didn’t have any contact numbers, so it was amazing she managed to get help from so far away.
"I’ve spoken to her and expressed our thanks -- she’s just glad she could help. Aidan is a lot better and hopefully everything is OK when he has his appointment at the hospital, but he’s doing well.”
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group