Scented candle burning inside car causes vehicle fire in Florida

CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. — Firefighters in Florida are reminding drivers not to burn candles while driving after putting out a car fire started by a burning candle.

A driver told Charlotte County firefighters that a scented candle burning inside his car tipped over onto a pile of papers while he was driving Monday, WWSB reported.

After the candle started burning the papers, the driver pulled into a Culver's restaurant parking lot. He ran in and filled a trash can with water to pour onto the fire. However, the car was completely engulfed in flames by the time he returned.

The car was destroyed. No one was injured.