PIERCE COUNTY, Wash. — A man is in the hospital after a police chase that ended with him jumping off an overpass.
It started near 176th Street and Canyon Road in Spanaway at about 5 p.m. Sunday when Pierce County deputies tried to stop a car they say was being driven recklessly.
The driver fled and police began a pursuit. During that time, the driver hit at least one vehicle. The chase eventually wound up on eastbound SR 512 and onto northbound SR 167, where the suspect got caught up in traffic.
At that point he struck cars on an overpass. His car was so damaged it would no longer drive, so he got out of his car and jumped off the overpass. Police say he fell at least 75 feet to the brush-covered ground below, near Valley Avenue East.
He had multiple broken bones and a collapsed lung and was taken to St. Joseph's hospital in Tacoma, where he underwent surgery.
The other people whose cars were hit had minor injuries.
The suspect is facing eluding and eight counts of hit-and-run.
More news from KIRO 7
- Police chase ends with man jumping off freeway overpass
- 16-year-old boy shot to death in Renton Walmart parking lot
- Flint water crisis: 15 Michigan officials charged
- Democrats decry Starbucks CEO Shultz idea to run as independent in 2020
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2020 Cox Media Group