TACOMA, Wash. — A Pierce County child younger than 5 has died from flu-related complications, the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department announced Monday.
Officials said the child had underlying health concerns that increased the risk of death.
>> Related: King County child dies from flu complications, officials say
The flu-related death is the second reported in Pierce County during the 2019-2020 season.
“Sadly, flu strains currently in circulation this season have hit the very young hard,” said Communicable Disease Control Division Director Nigel Turner. “When you get a flu shot, you strengthen the circle of protection around people who may be vulnerable to complications from the virus,” he said.
Children 5 or younger are among those most at risk for flu complications, health officials said.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at least 19 other children age 5 or younger have died because of the flu this season.
More news from KIRO 7
- Deputies shoot suspect after Pierce County deputy’s SUV rammed
- Mercedes-Benz agrees to massive settlement after mold found growing in HVAC systems
- Renton residents say historic rain destroyed their vehicles
- Best-selling romance novelist Johanna Lindsey dead at 67
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group