MOUNT VERNON, Wash. — A large explosion and fire erupted in the Westhill neighborhood of Mount Vernon after an apparent gas leak Monday.
Firefighters were called to the 900 block of East Fulton Street shortly after the 6 a.m. explosion.
Crews found a home engulfed by a raging fire that was reportedly being fueled by a leaking natural gas line, according to City of Mount Vernon Project Development Manager Peter Donovan. See raw video from the scene at the bottom of this story.
Two people who were inside at the time of the fire were able to escape before the fire spread. One person was taken to the hospital with unknown injuries.
Firefighters were able to save two adjacent buildings from being severely damaged by fire, Donovan said.
Cascade Natural Gas responded to shut off the gas line leading to the home.
The nearby Mount Vernon High School was closed Monday.
More news from KIRO 7
© 2020 Cox Media Group