EVERETT, Wash. — After a 16-month-old girl fell from a third-story window at an apartment complex in Everett, firefighters are urging parents to take precautions.
The incident occurred at an apartment complex in the Cascade View neighborhood off Everett Mall Way on Saturday.
The toddler only suffered a minor foot injury and was taken to Providence Regional Medical Center and was later released.
Fire officials said it is the third time a child has fallen from a window this year in Everett. There have also been several others instances in Snohomish County.
Firefighters are urging parents and caregivers of young children to talk about window safety with everyone in their household, as falls tend to occur more often during the summer.
Firefighters said the child fell after an older sibling had opened the window while they were playing in a bedroom.
The 16-month-old leaned on the screen and fell, officials said.
Officials said screens can give a false sense of security, as a child’s weight can easily push through a screen.
Below are some safety tips provided by firefighters from the National Safety Council and Safe Kids Worldwide to help prevent window falls:
- Supervise children to keep child’s play away from windows, balconies or patio doors.
- Don’t rely on insect screens to prevent a window fall. Insect screens are designed to keep bugs out, not to keep children from falling out a window. The weight of a child can easily push through a screen.
- Install window guards and stops. Properly installed window guards prevent unintentional window falls. For windows above the first floor, include an emergency release device in case of fire. Window stops are also a great idea. They allow fresh air and a cross breeze and still ensure windows can’t open wide enough for kids to fall out.
- Keep kids from climbing near windows. For your crawlers and climbers, move chairs, cribs and other furniture away from windows to help prevent window falls.
- When opening a window for ventilation, use those located out of a child’s reach. Never open a window more than 4 inches.
Firefighters said most window falls are preventable.
For those who need window stops and live in Everett, you can call 425-257-8111 or email email@example.com.
©2022 Cox Media Group