An Everett teenager has been charged with threatening to shoot and bomb his classmates.
The 14-year-old faced a judge Friday morning.
The teen is facing three felony charges for allegedly making threats against three schools in the Mukilteo School District.
Prosecutors said the 14-year-old used both TikTok and Instagram to make the threats.
According to court documents, the teen’s threats were so alarming that three different parents called 911 after seeing the social media posts.
And following the teen’s arrest, Snohomish County deputies said he admitted to writing the threats, insisting it was all a joke.
However, the court determined that the teen posed a risk to public safety, and he is currently being housed at a juvenile detention center.
The teen’s court appearance comes on the day that students returned to class at Bothell High School. Classes had been canceled due to threatening messages written on a wall at the school.
On the same day, Inglemoor High School went into a lockdown following threats that were made to students.
Students at Bothell said it was not easy getting back into their routine.
“Last week, I would’ve just been thinking about all the assignments. Now, I’m thinking, just a little bit in the back of my head, if something like that will happen. And that’s pretty scary,” a student told KIRO 7. “I feel like nine out of 10 times the threat doesn’t actually correlate to something actually happening, but it is still pretty nerve-racking.”
“It feels weird today. It was really weird on the days where the threats were just announced,” another student said.
As for the 14-year-old, deputies searched the home where he lives and they did not find any weapons, according to court documents.
©2021 Cox Media Group