SEATTLE - One man is in critical condition after a shooting and a woman was stabbed to death hours apart early Sunday morning in Seattle.
Paul Johnson was shot as he left a birthday party near Seattle Center around 2:00 a.m. Sunday. Investigators say an incident inside the party spilled outside.
A witness claims the suspect spit on someone at the party and then waved a 9 mm handgun. The witness told police he chased the armed man outside. As the men struggled over the gun, police arrived.
An officer was putting one man in a patrol car when she heard a gunshot.
Paul Johnson was shot in the neck. He's in very critical condition at Harborview Medical Center.
The suspect, Mahad Hufane, 22, was arrested for assault. In court on Monday his attorney said it was an accident, that no one saw Hufane fire the shot.
Prosecutors asked for $500,000 bail. The defense argued for much less. The judge set bail at $50,000 because Hufane does not have a criminal history.
Hufane graduated from Lynnwood High School in 2015 and interned at Microsoft. He currently works for a security company, according to his attorney.
Hufane's family was in the courtroom to support him.
The other victim of violence yesterday did not survive. RayShauna Webber, 25, was stabbed to death at Cal Anderson Park on Capital Hill.
More news from KIRO 7
- Vashon Island man sent manifesto before he was killed at detention center
- Two people died after being found with gunshot wounds to their heads on Mercer Island
- Driver arrested after crashing into child, car, power pole; showed signs of impairment, police say
- Rallies planned in protest of Amazon annual Prime Day, including at Seattle headquarters
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.