SEATTLE - A suspect was arrested Wednesday in connection with the fatal stabbing of a 25-year-old woman early Sunday at Cal Anderson Park, police said.
Detectives arrested 50-year-old David Nichols in Tacoma in connection with the fatal stabbing of a 25-year-old Tayshauna Webber . Nichols was interviewed and booked into King County Jail for investigation of murder.
On Sunday, officers responded to a reported stabbing at 2:45 a.m. at the park, near East Pine Street and Nagel Place. They found the woman with a stab wound to her chest.
Police believe the stabbing stemmed from an argument that started over cigarettes but said they're sorting through all of the details.
Seattle police Deputy Chief Garth Green said, “There was some discussion about cigarettes and lighting of cigarettes which then turned into an altercation that led to her being stabbed.” "Apparently he was offering the (a) light."
Seattle fire medics transported the Webber to Harborview Medical Center, where she later died from her injuries.
Police said a woman who was with the Webber was also stabbed in the chest but only suffered minor injuries.
The suspect was intoxicated and was identified with the help of surveillance video from nearby businesses and witnesses, officials said.
People are asking for those who may have interacted with the suspect earlier Sunday night (they said he was spotted in the park before the stabbing) and people who took videos/photos to contact them.
More news from KIRO 7
- Two people died after being found with gunshot wounds to their heads on Mercer Island
- Hidden camera captures employee raping nursing home resident, prosecutors say
- Man shot at Northwest Detention Center after throwing 'incendiary devices' at cars, buildings
- Man is beaten to death by parents, bystanders after stealing car with children inside, police said
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.