MERCER ISLAND, Wash. - Two people have died after being found in a car at a Mercer Island park with gunshot wounds to their heads, according to police.
A man and a woman were found in a Jeep at Luther Burbank Park, located at 2040 84th Avenue Southeast, shortly after 11:15 a.m.
Mercer Island police say a man who was parked right next to the Jeep heard two gunshots and called 911. When police got to the park, they found a man and a woman inside the Jeep, both with gunshot wounds to the head.
First responders performed first aid and rushed them to Harborview Medical Center, where they later died from their injuries.
“The gun was found at the scene (inside the Jeep). And we were able to quickly determine the two people who had gunshot wounds were the only two people involved,” said Cmdr. Jeff Magnan. “It's a little too early in our investigation to determine whether or not this was a murder-suicide."
The commander said in his memory, there has not been a shooting on Mercer Island in about 10 years.
He said multiple people heard the gunshots, but except for the man who called 911, parkgoers thought the noise was fireworks. The incident didn’t cause any panic at the park on a busy Saturday morning.
There was also a dog in the vehicle that’s now with King County animal control.
Police said no other people were involved and they’re not looking for any suspects.
More news from KIRO 7
- 4.6 magnitude earthquake near Monroe felt across Western Washington
- Hidden camera captures employee raping nursing home resident, prosecutors say
- Megan Rapinoe attends Seattle Storm game Friday
- Homeless Seattle man accused of luring teenagers with drugs, raping them
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.