SEATTLE — A 16-year-old boy was found dead in Lake Washington after he allegeldy stabbed his grandmother with a machete in Rainier Beach and fled, according to police.
Police were called to the scene in the 9700 block of 57th Avenue South shortly after noon Monday when a woman reported being stabbed by her grandson inside her home. The suspect fled the scene.
The 57-year-old woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center and is in stable condition.
Video from Chopper 7 showed four officers and a K-9 looking for him. Two officers were armed with rifles.
The search led officers to the shores of Lake Washington, where officers were searching between waterfront homes and around docks and decks in case the suspect jumped into the water.
As of 12:45 p.m., all lanes on Rainier Avenue South at South Cooper Street were blocked for the search.
By 1 p.m., Seattle police Harbor Patrol was at the scene along a dock and a diver was preparing to enter the water.
Shortly after 1:30 p.m., aerial views from Chopper 7 showed a body being removed from the water. Seattle police confirmed that the suspect was found dead in the lake.
The King County Medical Examiner will determine the cause and manner of death.
More news from KIRO 7
- Seattle woman blames homeless campers for crime in her neighborhood
- Child escapes serious injury in cougar attack in Leavenworth
- Silverdale father chronicles daughter’s first day of school for last 13 years
- Troopers say wrong-way driver caused crash on I-5
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
Cox Media Group