Des Moines police are investigating a home invasion, during which a teenager hid in a closet and called 911.
According to police, the teen was home when he heard the sound of breaking glass. He ran upstairs and hid in a closet. While on the phone with 911, he heard gunshots.
A group of officers went into the home to help get him outside. The teen is now safe.
Officers also found that a dog, a German Shepherd, that had actually survived the shooting. The dog was taken to an animal hospital for treatment.
"We just don't know why the house was selected," said Des Moines Police commander Doug Jenkins.
More news from KIRO 7
- How $1 million in medical debt was forgiven in Washington by KIRO 7, Jesse Jones
- Man with 'DIRTBAG' vanity plate arrested after Bellevue road rage incident
- Trump administration proposes changes to SNAP program
- SMART Team investigating deputy involved shooting on Mountain Loop Highway
- Couple mistakenly goes to see Red Hot Chilli Pipers
Cox Media Group