Local

Federal Way apartment fire leaves two hospitalized, dog dead

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. — A teenage girl was forced to jump from a second-story window to escape a burning apartment complex on Monday afternoon.

Luckily, she and seven other people in the four-plex apartment were able to escape, but a dog was killed in the fire. The dog was a part of the family for over a decade, and the family is heartbroken over the loss.

“That was her dog for like ten years and just to lose him…you know, she’s devastated. You know, they lost everything. So, it’s a big shock to the family and I don’t know how they are going to overcome this,” said a family member.

According to South King Fire, firefighters responded to the call in the 34000 block of 1st Circle South in Federal Way at about 2:30 p.m. Crews began searching on the second floor, where they found the deceased dog.

One person reportedly cut their hand at the scene but was not taken to the hospital. The teenager was injured during her fall from the window and treated at the scene before being taken to the hospital. According to the family, one other person was taken to the hospital later after complaining of dizziness from the smoke, but both are expected to recover.

All eight people are displaced after the apartment was completely engulfed in flames, even catching nearby trees on fire, and is now boarded up.

Neighbors of the apartment complex expressed their concern and empathy for the family, and a GoFundMe has been set up to support them as they heal.


0
Comments on this article
0