Man wakes up in ambulance after getting knocked unconscious by stranger in downtown Seattle

A Snohomish County man walking to his downtown Seattle bus stop after work was forcefully knocked to the ground by a stranger last week in an unprovoked attack, causing him to hit his head on the concrete so hard he lost consciousness for about 40 minutes.

Young Kim, an IT worker, told KIRO 7 he woke up in an ambulance, on his way to Harborview Medical Center, and had no idea how he got there.

"I ask them to what happened?" said Kim. "They say, someone hit, someone attack me and then that's why I'm going to hospital."

Seattle police confirmed to KIRO 7 they were called to 4th Avenue and South Washington Street last Tuesday around 5 p.m. following reports of a man punching another man.

Scroll down to continue reading

More news from KIRO 7


Investigators say witnesses confirmed the random attack: an unidentified man delivered a "body check," bumping Kim so hard that it caused him to fall and hit his head on the ground.

Kim said he was walking to a bus stop at 5th Avenue and Terrace Street because the stop at 2nd Avenue and Yesler Way had no sign and construction nearby. Nothing was stolen from him after being knocked unconscious.

Seattle Fire was already treating Kim, who was lying on the sidewalk, when officers arrived. Police said they searched the area but did not find the suspect.

A witness followed the suspect, who was reportedly with two other people, but lost sight of him several blocks away, police said.

"I heard many story in the Seattle downtown but I never expecting it happen to me," said Kim.

Kim contacted KIRO 7's Michael Spears after seeing a report from September about two tourists who were knocked unconscious downtown in an unprovoked attack by a man latter arrested and charged.

Kim wanted to know if the same man had attacked him. Jail records show the man accused of attacking the tourists was still in jail when Kim was assaulted last week.

Nearly a week after the attack, Kim said he's still experiencing dizziness and has trouble sleeping because of his head wound. He said he's worked in downtown Seattle for years without any problems, but his sense of safety has now been shattered.

"I'm very scared when I walk the street," said Kim.

Last month, nearly 160 businesses, neighbors and civic leaders sent a letter to the Seattle City Council asking council members to invest in new public safety initiatives, citing concerns about violence and prolific offenders who are released from jail only to commit more crimes.

One part of the letter states, "The criminal justice system must work for all of us, but today it fails everyone."

Kim said he wanted to share his story to help others be more aware when walking downtown and fears this will keep happening to other innocent people.

Seattle police said they have not made any arrests in Kim's case.