Court documents reveal events leading up to fatal shooting at Ingraham HS

SEATTLE — The King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office has released charging documents that detail what exactly happened at Ingraham High School on Nov. 8 when a 17-year-old was fatally shot on campus.

The incident started with a fight over the gun allegedly used in the shooting, according to the documents. Investigators say that gun was reported missing on Oct. 28 — 11 days before the shooting took place.

A physical fight involving several students broke out inside a bathroom near the school’s library before those shots were fired.

Five students, including the two accused suspects, were involved in that fight, which allegedly started because the victim and two others wanted the gun that the suspects had brought to school.

After the initial confrontation, documents say the two groups went out into the hallway after one of the students accused the victim of stealing his cellphone.

It was there that prosecutors believe the victim starting taunting the alleged shooter, daring him to fire the gun.

The 14-year-old suspect then pulled out that gun and shot the victim from behind. According to the King County Medical Examiner, the victim was shot five times.

The shooting was also caught on camera. The footage does not contain audio, but police say they could see the suspect raising the gun and then the other students ducking.

Eight fired bullet casings were recovered at the scene.

Following the shooting, the alleged shooter and his accomplice ran away from the school and tried to take refuge in a nearby neighborhood.

Court documents say the boys entered the backyard of a home. Once the woman who lived there came outside, they told her that there had been a shooting at her school and that they needed help.

That woman then let them into her home.

Prosecutors say the two teenagers eventually left that residence and decided to board a bus.

A short time later, both suspects were found and arrested at a bus stop on Aurora Avenue.

The 14-year-old alleged shooter is facing charges of premeditated murder in the first degree, first-degree assault, and unlawful possession of a firearm in the second degree.

Prosecutors are recommending that he be charged as an adult but, ultimately, that will be up to a judge.

A second suspect, a 15-year-old, is facing charges of unlawful possession of a firearm in the second degree and felony rendering criminal assistance in the first degree. His case will remain in juvenile court.

Donate to the victim’s memorial fund at this link.

Comments on this article