8-year-old girl killed in early morning fire in Monroe

8-year-old girl killed in early morning fire in Monroe

MONROE, Wash. — An 8-year-old girl was killed in a Monroe house fire Monday morning when clothes hanging above a stove caught fire, spreading to the rest of the home, officials said.

The fire started around 2 a.m. at a house located in the 312700 block of Dotson Road.

Content Continues Below

The Monroe fire chief said the blaze began when clothes hanging above the stove caught fire and spread to the rest of the house. The girl’s room was directly upstairs from where the fire started.

She was transported to Harborview Medical Center in critical condition, but later died. Other family members were transported with minor injuries.