SEATTLE — One person is dead and seven people were taken to Harborview Medical Center after a shooting Wednesday evening in downtown Seattle.
The shooting happened shortly before 5 p.m. near Third Avenue and Pine Street by the Macy’s and McDonald’s. Investigators said the suspect fled and police are searching for him. They did not immediately release a description.
The woman who died was in her 40s or 50s, a fire department spokesman said.
“Witnesses told investigators that two or more male suspects were in a disturbance and began shooting at each other,” Seattle police said in a statement released shortly after 10 p.m. “They fled the scene immediately following the shooting. ... Investigators are still gathering information about the suspect(s). This remains an active and on-going investigation, and information will be updated as it becomes available.”
Harborview said shortly after the shooting that the other victims were a 9-year-old boy in serious condition; a 34-year-old man in stable condition; a 32-year-old man in stable condition; a 21-year-old man in stable condition; a 34-year-old man in satisfactory condition; and a 55-year-old woman in critical condition and in surgery. A 49-year-old man was treated and released.
Shortly before 10 p.m., Harborview staff said four of the seven victims were discharged -- the 34-year-old man, the 35-year-old man, the 21-year-old man and the 49-year-old man -- and three remained. The 9-year-old boy was upgraded to satisfactory condition.
Police said 45 units were dispatched to the shooting scene, and it happened as police were investigating another shooting nearby. Police did not say those two scenes were related.
The ATF is helping Seattle police in the investigation.
Several Metro bus routes were delayed because of the shooting. Check this site to see delays.
See the below video of a briefing Seattle’s police and fire chiefs held on the downtown shooting:
Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan released the following statement shortly before 9:30 p.m. Wednesday night:
Gov. Jay Inslee released the following statement Wednesday night:
“Our hearts go out to the victims of tonight’s shooting in downtown Seattle and we commend the Seattle Police and Fire Departments for their swift response to this tragedy," a spokesman for the Downtown Seattle Association said in a statement. “Criminal activity around Third and Pine has been persistent for far too long and too often has led to violence and innocent lives lost. The heart of our city should feel safe and welcoming for all who live, work and visit here. We call on public officials to devote the resources necessary to improve safety in downtown and take back Third Avenue from the criminals who have laid claim to it. On behalf of residents, small business owners, employers and visitors, we say enough is enough.”
This is the third shooting this week in downtown Seattle.
On Tuesday night, a man died after a shooting inside Westlake Center. Police are still searching for the suspect.
Earlier Wednesday, there was a separate shooting involving Seattle police officers and King County deputies near Third Avenue and Blanchard Street. One suspect was injured and taken to the hospital.
Follow this link to see the Seattle Police Department’s annual report on gun violence, released earlier this month.
© 2020 Cox Media Group