OLYMPIA, Wash. - A semi-truck carrying live chickens jackknifed on I-5 in Olympia early Monday, killing dozens of birds.
The crash at Eastside Street happened at about 4:20 a.m. Two lanes were closed in both directions hours.
The semi struck the Jersey barrier after hitting a patch of black ice, according to the driver.
It also hit a light pole.
No other vehicles were involved, and the driver of the semi was not hurt.
Crews gathered the surviving chickens, but troopers said some escaped. Video from the scene showed dozens of dead and injured chickens around the crash scene.
By 8:07 a.m., all northbound lanes reopened. The southbound lanes opened shortly after 9 a.m.
More news from KIRO 7
- Seattle driver arrested in snowball rage incident
- Semi carrying live chickens crashes on I-5 in Olympia
- Snow expected to continue Monday, with some areas getting rain or mix
- Real-Time traffic updates: Snowy, slushy roads snarl morning commute
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.