TACOMA, Wash. - A fire at a Tacoma metal scrap yard that started early Monday has been burning for hours.
The fire at Simon Metals LLC, 2202 E River St., broke out about 2 a.m. Monday. The scrap yard is near SR 509 and East Portland Avenue in the Tideflats.
As of noon Monday, firefighters remained at the scene pouring water on the flames.
A plume of smoke is blanketing downtown Tacoma and can be seen for miles. Some people have reported feeling lightheaded.
Tacoma fire said those in the area should avoid inhaling fumes from the fire.
Heavy machinery is being used to rip apart the huge pile of metal to get to the source.
The main fire has been knocked down and crews continue to cool the pile.
It was first thought that the fire might burn for days, but firefighters later said it was expected to be out by the end of the day.
More news from KIRO 7
- Crews battle fire at Tacoma metal scrap yard
- Family in Orting asking for help after house broken into twice
- Dams powered Tacoma but killed off salmon runs. 92 years later the fish are back
- Man accidentally shoots himself in leg inside Tacoma Chuck E. Cheese
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.