Amber Alert canceled after Tri-Cities double murder suspect kills himself; child found safe

EUGENE, Ore. — Elias Huizar, the suspect wanted in the Tri-Cities double homicide from Monday died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a pursuit with Oregon State Patrol on Southbound I-5.

After the murders Huizar abducted his one-year-old son. The child was safely taken into custody by Oregon State Troopers Tuesday afternoon.

At 9:44 p.m. Monday, the Washington State Patrol issued an Amber Alert on behalf of the West Richland Police Department for Huizar’s son. Authorities believed Huizar may have been trying to flee to Mexico. The Amber Alert was canceled after the boy was found safe.

Oregon State Troopers spotted Huizar’s vehicle heading down Southbound Interstate 5 Tuesday afternoon and began pursuing him.

Huizar crashed twice during the high-speed pursuit. After the first crash Huizar exchanged gunfire with troopers and then fled. No one was injured during that exchange.

Then Huizar crashed a second time in Eugene, OR. After the second crash Huizar shot himself and died on the scene.

Elias Huizar, a former Yakima police officer, is a suspect in two homicides in West Richland. One occurred at Wiley Elementary School Monday afternoon. The body of a second homicide victim was later found during a search of Huizar’s home Monday Evening.

KIRO 7 has confirmed that his alleged victims were his ex-wife Amber Marie Rodriguez and his 17-year-old girlfriend Angelica Santos.

Rodriguez was killed at William Wiley Elementary where she worked.

Santos was killed at Huizar’s home.

Fundraisers for the families of both victims have been set up through GoFundMe.

Amber Marie Rodriguez GoFundMe

Angelica Santos GoFundMe

KIRO 7 reporter Jake Chapman spoke with Santos’ aunt Samantha Deluna by phone Tuesday night.

Angelica’s aunt says her niece had the nickname ‘Jelly’ in their family and that she was a loving and caring person.

“She was funny, bubbly. Had a good personality. A good mom,” Deluna said.

Deluna says her niece and Huizar met when he was a school resource officer at her middle school. She says what has happened the past few days has been a nightmare and that they wished Santos was still here.

Yet despite this tragedy, Deluna says the family is thankful that Angelica’s son is safe.

“Everybody has their cars filled up and ready to go get him whenever they are ready to let us get him,” Deluna said.