SPANAWAY, Wash. — The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department has made an arrest Friday in a hit-and-run that killed a man in Spanaway two weeks ago.
Deputies said a passerby found a critically injured man, identified as 40-year-old Ariel Vazquez Lopez, lying alongside the road in the 1400 block of 152nd Street East in Spanaway around 7:45 p.m. on Jan. 15.
Deputies said Vazquez Lopez suffered a serious head wound and later died from his injuries.
Investigators found a white plastic passenger side mirror on the shoulder of the road near where the victim was found that was believed to be from a 1997 to 2001 Toyota Camry.
The suspect, an 18-year-old man, was arrested at his parents' home in South Hill at 7:30 a.m. Friday. Investigators said the car believed to have been used in the crime was at that home as well.
The car was impounded and will be examined for evidence. Investigators will continue to interview witnesses and process evidence in the case.
Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact Pierce County Sheriff's detectives.
KIRO 7 will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.
More news from KIRO 7
- Man arrested after shots fired, carjacking that ended in crash on I-5 after police chase
- 'To Catch a Predator' host Chris Hansen arrested for bouncing checks
- Detectives: 3 found dead in Sammamish murder-suicide
- 'Amazing to be alive': Woman ran off road by estranged husband speaks after coma
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2020 Cox Media Group