SEATTLE — Since the NFL’s 2020 season is wrapped in uncertainty during the pandemic, the Seahawks emailed 61,000 season ticket holders some grim choices: Get a full refund for the 2020 season, put their accounts on hold with credit applied to 2021, or ”wait and see” if fans would be allowed to attend games this season.
“We don’t know how this is going to go,” said season ticket holder Greg Woodfill. “I think everybody has to be flexible.”
>> Related: CenturyLink field ranked second-best stadium in NFL
Woodfill credited the Seahawks with being among a few NFL teams to offer fans cash refunds so far without losing their seats the following season.
“Hats off to them,” he said. “When you have people out of work, facing being out of work, struggling to pay their rent, that is the right thing to do.”
If fans will be able to attend games, the NFL stated the first eight rows of CenturyLink — and every other stadium — will be empty to keep players socially distant from fans.
“When you say first eight rows, the first thing you think of is ‘‘Mama Blue,‘” Woodfill said, referring to the 89-year-old “super fan” who has been in a front-row seat for decades.
Any fan opting out for refunds or pausing their accounts will have access to the same seating section in 2021, according to an email from the Seahawks. Only 2020 seats will be resold, and only if fans are allowed to attend games, which may be a fraction of the stadium’s capacity.
“Let’s make sure it’s fair,” Woodfill said. “Let’s not have some stadiums wit fans and others some a quarter full, some more full. If it’s a level playing field for fans, the 12s will make it a noise advantage.”
Woodfill said health concerns are being mentioned in Seahawks fans’ Facebook circles, and he said that worry might keep a lot of 12s home.
“I installed a big screen and surround sound that I never got to use for games for home games,” he said. “Maybe I’ll get to use it now.”
Below are the team’s details on each option:
Pause your season ticket membership:
- One-year deferral plus request a refund for your 2020 payment or keep credit on account for 2021 renewal.
- This will pause your season ticket membership and your seats will be released for the 2020 season only.
- You will retain the ability to purchase the same seating location in 2021 subject to state and local public health, CDC and government mandates, as well as NFL and team policy.
- Refunds will be applied to your most recently used card(s).
- Please allow four to six weeks for your refund to be processed.
Wait and see:
- Keep credit on account as we confirm details and government mandates for the 2020 season.
- No changes will be made to your season ticket membership at this time.
- If stadium capacity or game schedule changes occur you will still have priority for ticket options.
- Any unused credits from 2020 will roll over to 2021 season ticket renewal or, upon request, be refunded.
Fans are asked to fill out a preference form for their season tickets. If you’re a season ticket holder check your email for a link to the form.
The team said if they do not hear from season ticket holders they will automatically default their account to the “wait and see” option.
Click here for more ticket information.
Cox Media Group