RENTON, Wash. — The water rescue team with Renton Firefighters Local 864 responded to a Huskey Aviat A-1B floatplane that crashed into the water near Gene Coulon Park in Renton Sunday afternoon.
Gene Coulon Park is located at 1201 Lake Washington Blvd., near The Landing shopping mall and south of the VMAC.
The plane crashed under unknown circumstances, and the FAA and NTSB will investigate, according to Allen Kenitzer, of the FAA.
Rescuers made contact with the pilot, the sole occupant of the aircraft, and officials say the pilot is uninjured.
Responders tried to "mitigate any fuel leaks or other hazards into Lake Washington," according to Renton Fire.
About a half gallon of fuel that had leaked into the water could not be recovered, the Washington Department of Ecology said.
More news from KIRO 7
- PHOTOS: Inside Oprah's new $8.2M home on Orcas Island
- Kam Chancellor remains away, career in doubt. Seahawks' Carroll talks Eric Reid
- Rally held where asylum-seeking mothers are being detained in SeaTac
- Victim of Kirkland road rage incident walks us through terrifying gun battle
- Police say neighbor forced family to recite Pledge of Allegiance, do chores
Cox Media Group