• Police: Man texts ‘LOL' to group text as woman dies from overdose

    By: KIRO 7 News Staff


    LYNNWOOD, Wash. - A Snohomish County teenager allegedly gave an 18-year-old drugs, bragged to his co-workers at Dairy Queen about sexually assaulting her and then hid her body in a plastic container, according to police.

    KIRO 7 News was in the courtroom on Wednesday when Brian Varela, 19, appeared before a judge and a crowd of people who loved Alyssa Noceda.

    According to court documents, over the weekend, Varela hosted a party inside a Lynnwood mobile home where he lives with a friend.

    Alyssa Mae Noceda
    Alyssa Mae Noceda

    They did drugs together, police say. Noceda had snorted a line of crushed Percocet pills, and Varela then gave her a "dab" of liquid THC. She then passed out.

    Varela did nothing to help. Police said that, instead, he took lewd photos of her. Then, Varela allegedly sent a group text to his co-workers with photos that showed an unconscious woman. The message with the photos said, "LOL I think she od’d, still breathing.”

    According to court papers, Varela was "too tired" to take her to the emergency room and went to bed.

    On Sunday morning, Varela tried to use Noceda's finger to gain access to her phone. When he found it, he created a post on her Snapchat account. The post gave the impression that she had run away from home, which she had a history of doing, according to court documents.

    Scroll down to continue reading.

    More news from KIRO 7


    Then he showed his roommate Noceda's body. Rather than calling police, Varela went to work to his job at Mukilteo Dairy Queen. He then tossed Noceda's phone into a wooded area behind the store.

    While at work, he essentially bragged about the woman dying while they were having sex, court papers say. His co-workers encouraged him to take the woman to the hospital, but he told them he was "too tired."

    When Varela got home that night, according to his roommate's statement, he forced Noceda's body into the plastic container. Varela admitted to police that he planned to bury the body.

    After seeing information on social media about Noceda being missing, Varela's assistant manager reported the incident to police.

    Varela was arrested on investigation of rape, manslaughter and homicide by controlled substance on Tuesday. Varela showed up for his court appearance nearly five days after Noceda's overdose.

    The courtroom was so packed that the doors could barely close, and extra deputies had to line up around the seats.

    Brian Roberto Varela, 19
    Brian Roberto Varela, 19

    "So this is a courtroom," Judge Tam Bui had to remind the crowd. "So I'm going to ask folks to refrain from either verbalizing their response or nonverbal conduct, so conduct yourselves appropriately in the courtroom."

    During the hearing, the deputy prosecutor said that the reported actions were callous and showed a shocking disregard for human life.

    Varela is being held on $500,000 bond. He faces homicide, manslaughter and rape charges.

    "That was the last person my daughter saw," Noceda's mother Gina Pierson told KIRO 7. "Just made me sick, made me feel sick."

    Friends and family are remembering Alyssa Noceda through a vigil in Silver Lake on Friday night.

    More news from KIRO 7


    Next Up: