The Port Angeles Police Department is warning parents after a 3-year-old was accidentally poked by a discarded syringe at playground over the weekend.
The incident happened Saturday at the Dream Playground.
Police are reminding parents to stay vigilant and report any suspicious activity.
Officers have been asked make safety sweeps at playgrounds, parks and school grounds in the mornings.
Police listed tips for anyone who gets pricked by a needle:
- Try to stay calm.
- Allow the wound to bleed freely, wash it with soap and water then lightly cover it.
- After initial first aid, go directly to the emergency room. Don’t wait -- getting the right treatment is time-sensitive.
- Once at the ER, you can notify law enforcement about the incident and inform them where the poke occurred and where the syringe is located.
Anyone who finds a syringe can call police at 360-452-4545.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- Michael Rotondo gets job offer from pizza company, cash from talk show host Alex Jones
- Police: Gunman calls police after shooting man at homeless camp
- Hormel recalls more than 220,000 pounds of Spam
- Woman rescued, search for missing man suspended after plane crashes near Bainbridge Island
- Mysteries of Seattle's old ‘Doughboy' statue remain decades later
© 2019 Cox Media Group.