A homeless man known to law enforcement set a fire in a field that spread to a seven-unit apartment building and injured three firefighters, a sheriff's office spokesman said.
The fire happened Wednesday afternoon in White Center across from Mount View Elementary School on 14th Avenue Southwest.
The fire spread to a fence next to homes and eventually to the apartment building itself. Neighbors had to evacuate from the building and adjacent homes.
Three firefighters needed medical treatment, and two were taken to a nearby hospital. All are expected to recover.
Records show the arson suspect was booked into the King County Jail five other times since June of 2018.
More news from KIRO 7
- Kittitas County deputy killed, officer injured in shooting
- Suspect arrested for stabbing Kirkland woman was charged with murder before
- Investigation underway after officer-involved shooting in Seattle
- Man arrested for trying to throw woman off Seattle overpass
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.